An Apple A Day This Autumn
We’re crazy for apples. They are a terrific source of fiber. They are rich in flavonoids and polyphenols, two powerful antioxidants. Eating an apple daily can lower cholesterol and reduce skin diseases.
Plus, apples also make a healthy base to some of falls most delicious treats!
While apples are in season, here are five great ways to fill up on them.
1. Go to the apple orchard. Apple picking is a fabulous way to spend a beautiful autumn afternoon. Not only is the activity itself fun, but you get to bring home all of your freshly picked fruit.
2. Fix yourself an easy snack. My absolute favorite after work snack in the fall is sliced apples with cinnamon. It is nutritious and takes a minute to prepare. Try it and tell us what you think!
3. Juice it! Put apples in your juicer and enjoy fresh AJ! Not only will you find it refreshing and delicious, but you’ll also avoid drinking packaged apple juice that is most likely full of added sugars.
4. Decorate apples. If you’re looking for a delicious treat and a fun activity for your kids, decorate apples. Candy and caramel apples are a delicious autumn treat to indulge in once and a while. Put a skewer or popsicle stick through the bottom of your apples and roll in caramel. Then, decorate the apple with various ingredients such as nuts, chocolate chips, sprinkles, crushed Oreos or any other candy you enjoy. Check out this tutorial here on how to master making candy apples.
5. Bake. Make a Flatout Apple Streusel Pizza for your family to enjoy, This guilt free dessert is easy to prepare and delicious.
All you need:
- 1 Flatout Light Flatbread
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup of canned apple pie filling
- 1 tablespoon streusel icing
- 2 tablespoon low fat granola
All you need to do:
Cook lightly oiled Flatout in 350°F oven directly on grate for 7 minutes. Remove. Top Flatout with pie filling and sprinkle with granola and cook 7 more minutes. Drizzle with icing. Enjoy!
We’d love to hear your fresh perspective!
- What is your favorite type of apple? What is your favorite way to eat it?