Skip to content

Healthy Holiday Entertaining: Wax Paper Flowers and Flatout EdgeOn Crisps

November 22, 2011

Wrapping presents sometimes seems as essential to the holidays as the big meals! Here, Katie of Ruffles & Truffles shows us how to spruce up the average gift box – and what to snack on during a long day of gift wrapping!

This post calls for: Flatout EdgeOn Crisps

Is it just me, or does the holiday season inspire you to make everything around you a little bit…prettier? Personally, I can’t get enough of wrapping presents and adding special touches to my home. I always love when I’m able to put together something handmade for an extra special touch. Today, I thought I’d share a fun and easy tutorial for some beautiful wax paper flowers. You can use them to decorate a variety of things, and I bet you have all of the materials in your house already!

***

Wax Paper Flowers

• Wax paper
  • Scissors
  • Ribbon

Directions:

Tear off two pieces of wax paper from the roll, in 12×12 inch squares. Cut the paper in half, and then in half again, leaving you with 8 6×6 inch squares.

Stack the 6×6 inch squares on top of each other, then accordion fold them in roughly 1/2 inch pleats. Using scissors, round the corners of each end of the accordion folded paper.

Tie a piece of ribbon around the middle of your accordion, then unfold the ends. It should look like a bow tie! Make sure to cut a long enough piece of ribbon to allow you to tie the finished flower to your package.

While holding the ribbon for stability, gently pull each wax paper layer up to the center of the “bow tie,” working on one half of the flower at a time.

It’s starting to look like a fluffy peony now! Repeat the same procedure on the other half of the flower, then fluff the petals to create the desired appearance.

Attach your completed flower to a holiday package, use as a napkin ring, tie on a wreath or use your imagination to select the perfect way to display your bloom!

Snack on some Flatout EdgeOn Crisps while making flowers and wrapping presents.

Happy Holidays!

***

We’d love to hear your fresh perspective!

• Do you have any tricks or tips for wrapping the perfect present?
About these ads
13 Comments leave one →
  1. November 22, 2011 9:53 am

I love your wax paper flower tutorial! I’ve used it to make present decor all the time. I even made one out of paper towels once, in a pinch.

• November 22, 2011 10:15 am

What a good idea to use paper towels…I want to try that! I bet that colored tissue paper would look pretty too…

2. November 22, 2011 9:53 am

cute idea, katie! i love adding a little something extra to the tops of wrapped gifts. the dollar section at target or the inexpensive ornaments at wal-mart are also great for this.

3. November 22, 2011 10:33 am

This is a super cute idea! My sister & I love wrapping and putting different kinds of ribbon and toppings to our gifts. I do something similar with tulle, but I really want to try these. Thanks :)

4. Kat G. permalink
    November 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Beautiful, simple idea! Thanks for sharing :)

5. Melissa permalink
    November 22, 2011 2:04 pm

I love these. I might attach them to some type of floaty thing so they’re up out of the water a bit and have them in the pool to decorate at our wedding. Thoughts?

6. Marilyn permalink
    November 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Wrapping pretty pacages is one of my favorite things to do …. these are very cute …. could be used for many occasions year round ….. Gotta find that Flatout bread!

7. Darcy permalink
    November 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Love the idea, I am going to make the flowers for my Thanksgiving napkins. You made it look so easy.

8. Wendy permalink
    November 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Those look gorgeous and easy to make!

9. angie permalink
    November 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Excellent idea! I’ve done something like this out of tissue paper. However, I love the wax paper and the gift wrapping idea. I can’t wait to try it! Thank you for sharing!

10. Michelle Luckwaldt permalink
    November 28, 2011 10:41 am

Wow! I love this idea. It is so versatile. Can’t wait to start working on them :)

Trackbacks

1. Flatout Healthy Holidays: Part 2 | She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
  2. Three Weeks of Flatout Happy, Healthy Holiday Recipes and Tips! « Flatout Fresh